Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Fish and guests

I love having visitors.  I love playing host to family and friends.  Being a chef, (my real life job) having guests over is a time for me to impress people with my culinary prowess in the kitchen.  I like taking people to fun and unusual places around Missoula and the Bitterroot valley, like Rockin' Rudy's - where you can find decorative merkins and bimbo socks - or the Red Sun Labyrinth near Victor is best seen in the late spring/early summer.  
I love catering to the individual tastes of my guests. Relaxing on the patio with a specialty cocktail, and upscale yet simple hors d'oeuvres (that's French for snackies).  Great conversations and perhaps a board game, or a movie.  I love everything about entertaining.
Though it wears on you after a few days. It's exhilarating and exhausting all at the same time.  Adjusting your regular schedule to accommodate your guests.  Dealing with their animals/kids, hoping they get along with your animals/kids.  Then there is the extra clutter, air beds, luggage, clothes, towels.  I felt like I was constantly straightening and cleaning and washing dishes.
I am recovering from a long weekend with my sister and her dog.  Her dog has a special diet, thus I had to feed my dogs separately.  Her dog was like anyone in a diet, grouchy and constantly in the search for a forbidden food.  One had to be constantly vigilant where they held their plate for fear of an extra snout spiriting away a tasty morsel from your plate.
After it was said and done, I was happy my sister came, though I was equally happy when she left.  The spare room and the kitchen are back to their orderly fashion, and the dogs can eat their food in peace.  

No comments:

Post a Comment